2015-09-09

Painting the Birch Ent, phase two

Bairchoro and Karavatis has two great updates which I would like to link to. Bairchoro's War of the Ring has updates on his project of renovating the WotR-rules, and Karavatis has something rather pertinent to this update, he is painting a Gran Beastia de Gorgoroth.

And here are this evening's result: First three pictures are the crazy ent (without burning right arm) and the fourth and fifth images are the regular ent. You can see on the static grass that these pictures aren't optimal (the colour always comes off as weird and flat - but still with some weird shine - when the lights are bad), but I am getting there: Two sources of light, of which one is a daylight bulb, black background seemed to greatly help my cell-phone camera and I am tinkering with other minor details. 


I can honestly say that my blog has the worst pictures of all the blogs I frequent. I intend to at least get up to the 10% worst instead of the jumbo-placement I currently am at.


Typically, I prefer to follow the canon wherever it is available, although I allowed myself some leeway here with the overly flexible ent. The first ent I did was very rigid, as is mentioned in prof. Tolkien's work, and this one looks more interesting, even if it is a tad haram.

After taking these pictures I added five mushrooms to the base, red ones, to contrast a bit. Not sure on the amount of static grass, I used GW:s static grass, Army Painter's (or similar brand) Highland Tufts as well as Winter Tufts and the German railroad grass (yellow, long strands). The colours really come off bad in this image, so that might be part of the issue... it do looks as if there are a lot of different types of grass, too many types, in my opinion.

Thought I should share the finished Great Beast of Gorgoroth - NOT PAINTED:

The howdah/battle platform looks a mess but is 1000 times better than before.

I did a larger version than the GW model and tried to make it sharper and bulkier. I think it looks a bit more Mordory. The bottom part of the platform will technically be finished outside of the deadline, but I allow myself that one.

The left front leg has given me endless grief and I see in this picture that I need to bulk out the front of said leg, adding some muscles. But this picture is not about the legs, no, it is about the chains which was very interesting to sculpt. That is all for tonight, see you later.

11 kommentarer:

  1. nice work llama. The ent looks incredible. Nice progress on the beast too!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Very happy to hear that! Sculpting the chains was a new experience for me, but IMO they turned out okay.

      Radera
  2. The chains on the beast came out really well defined, congrats you've reached level 70 wizardry. As for the ent, yes you might say its a bit over the top, but the pose really works and is engaging. I could honestly pay for a copy of that. You might want to consider adding/enlarging some black/dark brown fields to break up the white even more. Mainly in the skull and elbow areas if you ask me.

    theflowerofbattle.com (I'm having a hard time commenting with my wordpress login again)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Of course wordpress VS blogger should be an issue... In other news: The ent is indeed OTT ("over the top") and in fact, I painted it darker in the backside and it's face whiter!

      Now, I turn my attention to the fastitocalon... it is a trainwreck of a project...

      Radera
  3. I love the ent and the beasty is really well done. Looking forward to the fastitocalon(hard word). From my research its a giant fish/whale/beast/thingy?
    Keep up the good work!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It is indeed a fishy-thing ;) I think it might have been mentioned in the first of the three books - or it could be in one of the appendices.

      The fastitocalon is turning out to be a hassle to sculpt, I should have made better plans - but then again, the current state (plans meet reality) could be for the better...

      Radera
  4. Its sounds very fiddly to sculpt. Which army is it going to be for or is it going to just be a big wet gribbly thing that can kind of solo it. So to speak. :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Typically, I want the things I do to be affiliated with one of the 10-12 armies that I deal with in my version of WotR. The fastitocalon will indeed be an exception to this rule - I am actually inclined to let this model be the precursor to one of the bigger projects that I have dreamt of christen someday: 28mm-scale warships for Middle-Earth. This guy could be one of the monsters, or at least some form of sculpting-training for other monsters. The ships themselves will prove extremely challenging to make, but that is for another year to think of...

      The kraken and the Pelargir Beast were both "training" for this project. I am a huge sea-novel-fan (something that might not be apparent in this blog) and I have always loved the idea of scratch-building ships. So, the big F (heh... heh... ) is in a way a longterm avant guard for this project. Very avant guard.

      Good question, which I hope warranted this essay of an answer. I am typically bad at commenting at other people's blogs (due to me avoiding Google+) as well as being timely with me replies, but I made an exception tonight, despite the late hour ;D it is 23.50!

      Radera
  5. Haha! Thanks for the elaborate reply! Middle Earth warships are a big project that could open up a huge amount of scenarios and adventures. Good luck! Now I must stop commenting on this because I feel like I am deviating from the original post. Looking forward to naval warfare in Arda!
    cheers.

    SvaraRadera
  6. the Ent looks savage as a Birch tree, nice one.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I am still not sure if I will do as mr FoB said and darken him a bit more (mainly on the backside) - the images did turn out slightly more bright than I thought and the contrasts aren't showing, because I tried to make him look suitably "birchy" with dark, mossy spots.

      But nevertheless, the main point was indeed the Ent looking savage, so I suppose I got something right ;)

      Radera