2019-07-27

Kharadron Ironclad - homemade

The construction continues at the Duardin shipyard. It has been enlightening for me to try to emulate Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - or basically just the typical Games Workshop chunkiness. Yes, it is cartoony, and yes the dwarves are huge, and so are some of the details. Not to mention the over-the-top magic engines and the whole steampunkiness which adds no realism. Instead it adds some healthy playfulness, perhaps. Anyway, it has been a nice change of pace, and the chunky boat has gone from a small idea to something that starts to look heavily influenced by the offical models - but still something own, and still with the general "tech" looking somewhat like the original and some of the equipment as passable proxies for the bombs, the guns and mines.


Most of the larger parts of this model is more or less plastic wast, bottle caps and so on... So I am fighting climate hoax. It used to be called global warming, all the ice on Iceland would explode before 2010, and as that did not happen, now they call it "climate change" because the weather is often different...

This little chunky fantasy door was a nice learning experience. It might look like a naval door, something found aboard a submarine, but the GW attention to detail was nice to try to emulate. In the end I had not the patience and simplified it - and as I said in a previous post: One door is enough, no need for one both starboard and the other side.

The pew-pew-pew cannon (model after the hand-cranked multi-barreled guns that was first used (maaaybe) in ACW?) is mounted on a state-of-the-art tower with a huge round railing of cogs that make it turn by handpower. The dwarf sitting inside has a little crank, just like the AA-guns of old had.
 
You can see the "dumbed down" versions of the fly-balls to the right in this picture. They have much less details than what the proper model has, mainly because if I would do the same amount without copying GW:s model straight off, it would not have turned out okay as it had needed a lot more thinking and planning than I felt like. Instead I filled it with as much details as I could stomach - coming from Lord of the Rings-models - and didn't bother with the huge iron heel which should edge around the two halves of each ball, as there are no welding in Age of Sigmar. I pretended that the Duardin had managed to make it pressure proof in some other way. The metal banding is impossible to keep it together and quite difficult to construct, but who gives a flap?
 
Added fins that are much less characterful than the real Ironclad. The fins on the original is nice and fancy but I prefer this, especially as I am growing bored with this project and its details.
 
... speaking of the weather, it has been very warm here in Swedistan. I don't know how hot but enough for me to rather stay at home. Doing hobby was not pleasant as I was too lazy to move my tabletop fan to the table I was working at. Besides, it would have fanned all the little parts down on the floor.
 
A few weeks ago I had to use mittens and a beanie when going to work. Beginning of July?! Very cold.
 
Double propeller attached, model now has to sit upside-down to not break. I am dreading how the flight stand will manage... when the fly balls are attached its weight will increase with roughly 30-32%, and it barely stands now. It's the main, bottom fin that makes it difficult to mount it properly.
 
These are the five drop-bombs that I managed to scrounge up in my bits boxs and drawers. I can only hope they will meld well into the rest of the model so one doesn't give them too much attention as they really could use a lot of work. Work I am not willing to put in. Again, the official model has 6 on each side, three types. One fragmentation, one drill and another one. In the fluff they can be used for various types of mining, IIRC.

Going with GeeDubbs design, but simpler, I settled with a pair of propellers on a single axis, instead of five or ten.

Apparently this image happened to land here, so voila, these guys again. Shoddy rudders.

And this is where I left off last time I posted about this beast.
 
"Yes, that is correct." the reader said looking at said picture. That's you readers, you are two ladies. That's how I see you in my mind's eye, as they say. Two bored ladies reading about... about... about, I don't know really anymore.

Would it be wise to do a whole army Kharadron inspired by the bad guys from Dune? One of them has a fly-thing...

"You go right ahead, Llama." the readers said in chorus smiling ironically. Okay, that might be a little too much...

2 kommentarer:

  1. For the flight stand just grab a wooden dowel or sumfin', nice and thick like, and then voila to you too sir

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That will be my goto when the current one breaks within 5 minutes of using :P

      Radera